Air Force Marathon Training – Week 7

Another week done! This was one of the few weeks that I haven’t gotten all of the miles in, that wasn’t due to my injury. I tried, but, sometimes these things happen. I’m not thrilled about it, but there are more important things going on than marathon training. I don’t like to get into super personal things, but our family is going through a pretty rough time and these last 6 weeks have been a major emotional roller coaster. And in the wise words of Forrest Gump that’s all I have to say about that.
Also, I don’t have a single picture to show for this week. All I’ve got is the before picture of my haircut; I don’t even have the after yet. Sorry ’bout that!! If you don’t keep reading, I don’t blame you…


Planned: 4 Miles

Actual: Rest. I woke up with every intention of running…and then I fell asleep on the couch. Oops. I figured it was no big deal, and I would just run when I got home from work. Then I didn’t get home until after 9 PM.


Planned: Rest

Actual: 3 Miles 32:30 (10:53 pace) I wanted to make up the 4 miles from the day before, but I farted around too much trying to work on blog posts and got started late.  At 3 miles I made the call to stop – I was dangerously close to being late for work and to be perfectly honest, I couldn’t see through the tears or breathe through the sobs. If I had the time though, I know that I would have been able to crank out another mile – I was feeling really good. Minus the whole sobbing hysterically while I ran thing.  Tuesday was a rough day, in general.


Planned: 4 Miles

Actual: 4 Miles hills 43:33 (1053 pace). I had a hair appointment right after work, so I made sure to get them in early. By Wednesday, my spirits had been lifted a bit and I was able to get out and work hard. No tears. No sobs. Just a good effort.

I really liked the color, but something was missing with the cut…



Planned: Rest

Actual: Rest. This was another loooooong day, and I didn’t get home until way past 9:30. I also was kind of forced to make a few less than stellar food choices for dinner – a small chili from Wendy’s and a 6 piece chicken nugget box. I can’t even remember the last time I had Wendy’s, but pretty much it was that or starve. And a hungry Amanda is a very angry Amanda…so, chili it was. Calorie-wise, it wasn’t terrible; quality-wise was a different story. Which leads me to Friday’s run….


Planned: 4 Miles

Actual: 3.5 Miles 39:57 (11:24 pace). Since Tuesday and Wednesday were harder efforts, and Saturday was a long run day I decided to take Friday nice and easy. I would have been fine to finish that last half mile, but….let’s just say I was regretting last night’s dinner choice. I kind of had to rush home, and by the time I did that it would have been pointless to go back out for the last half mile. Aside from that close call, it was a good, easy effort.


Planned: 15 Miles

Actual: 15 Miles 2:49:21 (11:17 pace). I started this run about an hour later than I would normally like to – I ended up going back to the hair salon to make a few small adjustments to my cut and the soonest they could get me in was 8AM Saturday. Since it was driving me nuts, and I felt bad about coming back, I happily took that time slot. I looked at it as a way to sleep in instead of waking up at the butt-crack of dawn like usual.

When I woke up, I could hear it pouring. I did my usual morning routine, and the whole time debated if I should just plan to run on Sunday instead. I checked the radar and the rain was supposed to continue all morning long so I figured what the hell. I actually really enjoy running in the rain, and since there’s always a chance it could be raining on race day I decided it would be a good idea.

I was in and out of the hair salon in 10 minutes, and now I love my hair! Wahoo!! I drove out to North Park and got started. As usual, my first few miles were too fast…for whatever reason, I just can’t seem to get my long runs under control. I really need to work on that…not clue how, but I’ll think of something 🙂  The first loop through was pretty uneventful…there were very few people out and I was enjoying the solitude. And I figured, if I started crying again at least no one would be able to tell.  By the fourth or fifth mile I had finally settled into a manageable pace in the mid-low 11:00 minute/mile pace. I learned my lesson last week and decided to take my water bottle and gels with me, rather than trying to stop at the car after each loop. Around 4.5 I took my first gel and kept trucking along. The second loop was really uneventful…I was in the zone. Anytime I sensed myself slipping, I would take a minute to check my form, focus on my breathing and give myself a little pep talk. It was working! I felt like I could keep going all day. I took my next gel at 9.5 and was still feeling great.  Just after mile 10, I even though to myself “maybe I’ll make the last 1 or 2 miles a fast finish…just to see if I can”. Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hilarious. Just as I should have started to speed up (or at least try to), I hit a massive wall. It must have been made of reinforced steel because it knocked me on my ass. The next two miles were a total mental battle to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I tried doing the form check trick, positive reinforcement…you name it, I tried it. Looking at my splits now, I see that I must have been able to do that for the last mile but holy crap on a cracker was that tough!! Aside from those last two miles, this was a great long run and I am really happy! Honestly, I would rather get some of these bad miles out of my system now rather than on race day. I’m not sure how to avoid hitting that type of wall again….it may be time to switch from English Muffins with peanut butter to something a little more substantial like a bagel as my pre-run breakfast.


Planned: Rest

Actual: Rest. I hate to say this, but my Achilles Tendonitis has flared up again…and I still haven’t scheduled my Physical Therapy. It’s not that I’m not taking it seriously, I just really haven’t been able to – things are constantly changing and I hate to commit to these appointments if I have to keep cancelling them. The Tall One has been asking me everyday if I’ve scheduled them yet, and won’t stop until I do. He’s an alright guy 🙂  (No, really, he is. I don’t know how I would be coping with everything if it wasn’t for him!!)

How’s your training going? What do you do when you hit the wall – I will take any and all advice on overcoming that!!



2 thoughts on “Air Force Marathon Training – Week 7

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s