Weekly Recap 12/19-1/4/15(!!)

Happy New Year!!
This ended up being an inadvertent step back week for me; normally I’d be upset, but with marathon training right around the corner (holy crap!) I embraced it and am A-OK with taking it easy for a little longer! I hate to be a Scrooge, but I am really glad the holidays are over so we can all go back to a normal schedule. It was nice to have a few weekdays off, but it really messed up my internal clock…I never knew what day it was. I felt like Robin Williams in Jumanji: WHAT YEAR IS IT?!

what year
Monday: was a rest day. I worked on my marathon training schedule, and that was about it.

Tuesday: I stuck to my plan and hit up the weight room aka: my basement. It was nothing special – just a few basic moves plus my hip strengthening exercises which are really helping! My left side is noticeably weaker than my right, but I am seeing some improvements.

Wednesday (New Year’s Eve): I planned on running 4ish miles after I came home from work, but my in-laws had just gotten back into town so we invited them to dinner so they didn’t have to cook. We picked an early time so we could avoid the crowds, but that meant I didn’t have time for any running. Womp, womp.

Thursday: HAPPY NEW YEAR! As per the usual, I didn’t even come close to staying awake till midnight. I was out cold around 10:30. And then I woke up at 4 AM. It never fails that on days when I don’t have to be up early I’m awake by 5, and on work days I could sleep right through my alarm. It’s obnoxious. As soon as it was light enough, I bundled up for a FREEZING cold 5 miles (10:36 pace). Since my Christmas Eve run I haven’t been able to find my gloves so I had to rummage around to find some and I ended up with these mismatched beauties.
Oh well! They got the job done! This was a fantastic 5 miles…there were some good little rollers to climb, but nothing crazy. I really didn’t feel like I was going that fast, so I when I saw my pace I was really happy! If only every run could be like that…
Friday: I pulled a double to see how it went. I did my strength training first thing in the morning, and then ran in the afternoon when I got home from work. I don’t know if I’ve ever done that before so I wanted to see how it would go. My legs were tired, which I expected, but I was still able to hold an OK pace (3 miles/11:04pace). One thing I’m struggling with while mapping out my marathon training is that if I lift 3 times per week, I may need to double up on lifting/running some days and I’m worried that it will have a negative impact on my runs. On the other hand, if I can actually do the weight training consistently, my legs should adapt and won’t feel so heavy. I have no idea. I guess the only way to know is to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Saturday: I was all registered and ready for the Pittsburgh Marathon kick off run, and made plans to meet up with Jennifer..and then the ice hit. I knew there was no way I was even going to attempt to drive through that, so I told Jennifer I wouldn’t be there, and we made plans to meet on Sunday. I debated jumping on the treadmill, but ultimately decided to wait out the ice and run in the afternoon. Holy shit. I didn’t realize that this would be my 3rd day in a row of running and my legs were absolutely destroyed. Every single step was like running in concrete, and I was just kind shuffling along. I wanted to quit after about 5 steps, but would have been pissed that I got all dressed and layered (with my mismatched gloves) for nothing. I stuck it out for 2 miles (11:19 pace) and went home. I debated whether or not I should keep going, but figured that this is one of those time when I might be doing more harm than good so I stopped. Live to fight another day, right?

Sunday: Jennifer and I rescheduled and met for 6ish miles along the river trail and Lawrenceville for some hills. This is another one of those times where a running partner really comes in handy; if I hadn’t made plans with her, I definitely would have ended up laying on the couch watching Law and Order all day. We met up ran a new to me route that was so much fun! We crossed the 40th St. bridge, kept climbing the hill and then went up and down some of the side streets and crossed back over the 31st St. bridge. My paces up the hills were a little slow, but I chugged up each one without stopping or walking so I’m calling it a win! There were a few times that I told Jennifer to go ahead and I would meet her at the top, but she wasn’t having any of that and encourage me the whole way to the top! By the time we crossed the 31st St. bridge, it started to rain a bit and got VERY windy…there were a few times the gusts almost knocked me right into her. I felt like I was running in place.
larryville hills
We wrapped things up back on the trail, and then did a quick cool down back to my car. We covered 6.1 miles in 1:12 for an 11:44 pace. As we were standing around talking, we ran into Steff who was out doing her long run; it was great to meet another Pittsburgh blogger (I had my phone in my hand and didn’t think to get a picture)! She’s on her way back from a stress fracture training for the Rock N Roll marathon in New Orleans!

This gave me 16 miles this week. Not the best, but I will be getting my share of miles soon enough. The biggest takeaway from this week is that I need to watch my days and making sure that I’m not running 4 days in a row. I want to stay injury free this year, and that isn’t going to help me get there. Granted, 16 miles in 4 days isn’t any kind of high mileage (at ALL), but it’s the off season and there really isn’t a need to be running like that. 3 days is plenty. This is my last week before training starts so I’m going to enjoy it, take it easy (only 3 days of running!) and finalize that training plan!

How was your week? If you’re running the Pittsburgh races, have you started your training yet?

6 thoughts on “Weekly Recap 12/19-1/4/15(!!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s